For many fields, there are “canonical” places on the Internet, where enthusiasts (and specialists) in this field gather, and where one should go for information.
Often, there are “canonical” places to buy stuff. Sometimes, there is a product that is clearly best in its category. Here is my list of such things :)
Where to buy
- Buy computer components: Newegg
- Optical disc burning: Club CD Freaks
- Buy optical disc blanks: Supermedia
- Real keyboards information: GeekHack, Reddit, keyboardlover
- Buy real keyboards: Elitekeyboards, wasdkeyboards, Unicomp
- Broadband Internet connections information: Broadband Reports
- Cell phones information: Howard Forums
- Electronic bookreader information: MobileRead
- Photo Cameras information: Digital Photography Review
- In-ear headphones: Jlab Audio J3M with Comply Foam tips. (For fanatics: Audeo Perfect Fit)
- Watches: women’s - Timex T20441, men’s - Casio MQ24-7B
- Bicycle information: Sheldon Brown; BikeForums
- Glasses, over prescription, smoke for day/yellow for night: Global Vision Outfitter
Flashlights and batteries
- Flashlights/batteries information: CandlePower.
- Buy flashlights/batteries: BatteryJunction, 4 Sevens.
- Battery charger: Maha: C9000 - 4 slots, more features; C801D/C800S - 8 slots; C808M - 8 slots, C and D.
- Rechargeable batteries: Eneloop “1500”; Imedion.
- Buy batteries and chargers: ThomasDistributing.
- Battery caddy: Storacell.
- Home USB charger: Motorolla.
- Car USB charger: Scosche.
- USB cables: FRiEQ Cloth Jacketed.
- Belt key loop: My Key Pal.
- Multi-tool: Leatherman Wave, Charge, Surge.
- Drill: Bosch PS30-2A 12-Volt Max 3/8-Inch Drill Driver.
- Portable Workbench: Black & Decker Workmate 425.
- Digital Calipers: Mitutoyo.
- Snips: Fiskars 5792.
- Scissors made not in China: Gingher.
- Lubricating Oil: Liquid Bearings.
- Carabiner: Nite Ize S-Biner.
- Paring Knife by Shun
- Tomato Knife by Victorinox
- Mag-Blok magnetic holder from BenchCrafted
- [“An Edge in the Kitchen: The Ultimate Guide to Kitchen Knives”(http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Kitchen-Ultimate-Guide-Knives/dp/0061188484)] by Chad Ward
- Knife sharpening system: EdgePro; additional stones (grits comparison): JendeIndustries.com; ChefKnivesToGo.com.
- Honing “Steel”: Idahone Ceramic Rod; HandAmerican Borosilicate Rod.
- Unicorn Pepper Mill
- DLX-2000 Bread Dough Mixer
- “Bread Science” by Emily Buehler
- “What Einstein told his Cook” by Robert L. Wolke
- Nice local (Newton) kitchenware store: China Fair
- Looks like good kitchenware store (around Boston): Kitchen Outfitters
- Apple peeler: Starfrit
- Immersion Blender: Breville Control Grip BSB510XL
Food and Drink
- Half-sour pickles recipe (no water!): Малосольные огурчики
- Kosher pickled Ginger: Mitoku Sushi Ginger
- Sauces: “Тёщина горчица” (mustard), Adjika, Tkemali (Plum/Tomato)
- Mineral water: S. Pellegrino
- Salmon slices: Trader Joe’s Atlantic Harvest
- Tomatoes: campari; cheaper at Costco
- Sweet wine: Bartenura Moscato
- Bourbon: Elija Craig; Bulleit
- Low-carb diet information: Carb-Sanity
Family Games and Toys
- Quoridor Quarto! Gobblet! Rush Hour River Crossing Set Abalone
- Hula Hoops: Acu Hoop
- Buckyballs (no longer available)
- Plasma Ball
- With padding (for laptop): Brenthaven Duo 15 2030
- Sleeve: Tucano Work Out PC
- Supercompact (for chromebook): Samsonite 938915 (not on Samsonite website; they did not reply to my questions)
- Compact (messenger): Nomadic Wise Walker WR-08
- Portfolio to fit 3-4 notebooks 5x8, folder ½”, pens etc., width 14”-14.5” height 11.25”-11.75” depth 4.5”-6” - still looking :)
- Filing Box
- Shoe Box
- Accessory Box
- Amac Boxes
- Memory Cards Case: Pelican 0910
- Phone cases: Seidio Convert; OtterBox Defender
- Pen case: ArtBin Prism
- Buy pens and notebooks: JetPens; Goulet Pens
- Buy paper and labels: Shoplet
- Buy binders: Staples.com
- Fountain pens: Platinum Preppy; Lamy Vista, Safari or Al-Star; Parker 51
- Gel pens: Pilot Hi-Tec-C 0.4mm or Hi-Tec-C Cavalier
- Markers: Sakura Pigma Micron: 01 (0.25mm) black and 05 (0.45mm) color
- Page Markers: Post-it ½” flags and markers; Avery Write-On Tabs (16143)
- Labelling Tape: Post-It
- Dry-Erase Board: UNVSL
- Labeler: Brother PT2730VP